Accounting Specialist/Finance - City of Park City
Park City, KS
Signing Bonus - $3,000
Park City, KS – An innovative city positioned for growth, with an inclusive hometown feel and a safe and superior quality of life is seeking a professional, detail-oriented candidate to fill the position of Accounting Specialist.
Under the supervision of the Director of Finance, the Accounting Specialist is responsible for intermediate accounting functions, including general ledger, monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts, preparation of audit work papers and monthly and quarterly financial statements, accounts payable, and assistance in some aspects of the budget process including the GFOA Distinguished Budget Award. The successful candidate must be detail-oriented, function with a high degree of accuracy and professionalism, possess strong accounting and analytical skills, as well as effective public relations, communication, and organizational skills.
Experience: Five years of similar or related experience is required. College training in accounting or a related field may be substituted for up to two years of experience.
Education: A college degree in accounting or related field is preferred; high school diploma or GED is required.
The Accounting Specialist offers a rewarding career with a competitive salary, pay range of $17.92 – $27.95 per hour, and an excellent benefits package, to include:
o Health insurance where the City pays 100% of the premium for individual or family
o City funded Health Reimbursement Account to offset insurance deductible, coinsurance, and copays
o Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Account, LegalShield, AFLAC, 3-1 Supplemental, Short-term Disability, Life Insurance
o KPERS Retirement and KPERS 457 Deferred Compensation
o Vacation, Sick Leave and 11 paid Holidays
o Training Opportunities and College Tuition Reimbursement
o On-site fitness facility
o Wellness Initiatives that include discounted membership to YMCA or area fitness club
o Employee Assistance Program to provide counseling and education to employees and their families.
Testing will be required for this position. Must be able to pass a background check and pre-employment drug screen.
City of Park City Finance Department
Under the supervision of the Finance Director, the Accounting Specialist is a non-exempt position under FLSA. This position is responsible for intermediate accounting functions, including general ledger, monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts, preparation of audit work papers and monthly and quarterly financial statements, accounts payable, and assistance in some aspects of the budget process including the GFOA Distinguished Budget Award. The employee must be detail-oriented, function with a high degree of accuracy and professionalism, and possess strong accounting and analytical skills, as well as effective public relations, communication, and organizational skills.
· Responsible for some general ledger functions including some journal entries, preparation and publication of Quarterly Treasurer’s Report, preparation of monthly financial reports for Council, and monthly reconciliation of some general ledger accounts and timely rectification of any errors;
· Assists with certain aspects of the internal budget preparation process, including but not limited to budgeted salaries and benefits, and responsible for portions of the budget document submitted to the Government Finance Officers Association for the Distinguished Budget Award;
· Responsible for accounts payable functions including issuance of purchase orders, preparation of appropriations documentation, timely payment of invoices, printing payment vouchers, monitoring invoices for proper approvals and general ledger accounts, maintaining vendor records, reconciling vendor statements and resolving discrepancies, requesting W-9 forms from all new vendors prior to release of payment and requesting updated forms in compliance with IRS regulations, issuing sales tax exemption forms, project exemption forms, and annual 1099 forms according to federal and state regulations;
· Prepares sales tax report and water protection and clean drinking water fees report, and remits payments to the Kansas Department of Revenue in a timely and accurate manner;
· Voids stale-dated checks, following requirements for submission of funds to the Unclaimed Property Division of the State of Kansas;
· Prepares audit work papers, and responds to auditor inquiries and requests for documents;
· Records receipts and disbursements in checkbook daily, including electronic deposits made directly to the bank account by the State of Kansas and others;
· Reviews and processes travel expense reports, monitoring for accuracy and conformance with City policies;
· Reconciles daily cash receipts and posts to the financial system;
· Responsible for delivering the deposit to the bank daily;
· Assists the Utility Cashier/Receptionist positions as needed;
· Provides backup assistance to the Senior Accountant;
Cross-trains on other functions, including but
not limited to Payroll and Utility Billing;
· Follows department policies and procedures;
· Follows safety procedures and practices.
· Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
· Serves as backup for preparing bills for miscellaneous items (e.g. mowing, damage to City property, property clean-up or demolition, Library insurance, Wild West parking lot, etc.);
· Prepares and submits reports to Kansas Dept. of Wildlife for reimbursements of costs of pond upkeep;
· Prints and distributes monthly budget and detail expenditure reports to Department Heads;
· Documents all processes and procedures of the position, continually updating to reflect current practices.