Human Resource Payroll and Benefits Specialist - City of Park City
Signing Bonus - $3,000
Signing Bonus with Certifications up to $5,000
Park City, KS – An innovative city positioned for growth, with an inclusive hometown feel and a safe and superior quality of life is seeking a professional, detail-oriented candidate to fill the position of Human Resource Payroll/Benefits Specialist.
Under the supervision of the Human Resource Manager, the Human Resource Benefits/Payroll Specialist is responsible for processing payroll, preparation of State and Federal payments, maintenance of employee records and related reporting and payments, coordinating aspects of the employee application, interview and onboarding processes. The successful candidate must be detail-oriented, function with a high degree of accuracy and professionalism, possess excellent written and verbal communication, organizational, and payroll skills. Confidentiality is critical for this position.
Experience: Three years of similar or related experience is required.
Education: A high school diploma or GED is required. Degree in HR or related experience is preferred. SHRM certification a plus.
The Human Resource Payroll/Benefits Specialist offers a rewarding career with a competitive salary, pay range of $17.00 – $24.98 per hour, and an excellent benefits package, to include:
o Health insurance where the City pays 100% of the premium for individual or family
o City funded Health Reimbursement Account to offset insurance deductible, coinsurance, and copays
o Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Account, LegalShield, AFLAC, 3-1 Supplemental, Short-term Disability, Life Insurance
o KPERS Retirement and KPERS 457 Deferred Compensation
o Vacation, Sick Leave and 11 paid Holidays
o Training Opportunities and College Tuition Reimbursement
o On-site fitness facility
o Wellness Initiatives that include discounted membership to YMCA or area fitness club
o Employee Assistance Program to provide counseling and education to employees and their families.
Testing will be required for this position. Must be able to pass a background check and pre-employment drug screen.
HUMAN RESOURCE PAYROLL/BENEFITS SPECIALIST
City of Park City HR Department
Under the supervision of the Human Resources Manager, the Human Resource, Payroll and Benefit Specialist is a non-exempt position under FLSA. This position is responsible for processing payroll, preparation of State and Federal payments, maintenance of employee benefit records and related reporting and payments, organizing and maintaining personnel records, and coordinating aspects of the employee application, interview and onboarding processes. The employee must function with a high degree of accuracy and professionalism, possess excellent written and verbal communication, organizational, and payroll skills. Confidentiality is critical for this position.
· Enters and maintains employee data (e.g. new hires, payroll changes, benefits, additional earnings, garnishments, tax information, personal use of City vehicle, etc.) into the payroll system;
· Processes biweekly employee time and attendance data, monitoring for accuracy, policy adherence, and completeness;
· Generates biweekly payroll accurately and according to set timelines;
· Balances and remits all payroll-related taxes, benefits, and other withholdings, as well as retiree health insurance premiums, in a timely manner;
· Prepares and files W-2 forms, 941 forms, and state unemployment reports;
· Conducts new employee onboarding, ensuring employees gain an understanding of benefit plans and enrollment provisions;
· Reviews benefit enrollment forms for accuracy and coordinates enrollment and other processing requirements with third party administrators in a timely and efficient manner;
· Assists employees with disability claim process, and coordinates with third party administrator to manage claims according to the disability plan;
· Performs monthly reconciliation of all employee benefit billings, and resolves billing problems with carrier representatives;
· Manages aspects of the applications process, to include the posting of vacancies and ads;
· Coordinates with the HR Manager and is responsible for various aspects of the interview and selection process, including scheduling testing, interviews, conducting employment verifications, checking references, and ordering background checks;
· Maintains physical and digital files for employees and their employment documents benefits, training, and payroll;
· Processes Worker’s Compensation claims;
· Coordinates the outboarding process of employees separating from City employment;
· Assures timely compliance with COBRA guidelines, to include the Initial COBRA Notification, processing termination of benefits upon employee separation, providing notification to employees of COBRA options within time limits according to federal regulations. Receives and records COBRA insurance premium payments;
· Administration of FMLA program; responsible for processing paperwork and tracking leave and certifications in accordance with applicable laws and organizational policies;
· Responds to salary surveys as requested from other entities;
· Develop and send survey requests to other entities, compile results, and prepare reports to summarize findings;
· Performs employment verifications according to City policy, maintaining records of all requests;
· Follows department policies and procedures.
· Assists with special projects and committees as assigned;
· Documents all processes and procedures of the position, continually updating to reflect current practices;
· Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned;
HUMAN RESOURCE PAYROLL/ BENEFITS SPECIALIST
Experience: Three years of similar or related experience is required. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within six months of employment.
Education: A high school diploma or GED is required. Degree in HR or related experience is preferred. SHRM certification is a plus.
Technical Skills: This employee must have a working knowledge of principles and practices of human resources, federal and state employment regulations, including but not limited to FLSA, EEOC, ADA, FMLA, COBRA. This employee must have the ability to produce accurate work products and meet time sensitive deadlines. Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and have the ability to access information from various computer software programs. This employee must have the ability to accurately track, enter, and maintain data, and interpret when needed. This employee must be able to efficiently operate computers, printers, telephone systems, photocopiers, and other office equipment. This employee must have the ability to meet and deal tactfully with others and communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing, and must have the ability to comply with privacy protection laws, to recognize when information is confidential and must protect the privacy of employees. This employee must be able to remain professional and discreet in all job duties so that confidential information is handled with the upmost sensitivity.
Problem Solving: Independent problem solving is a factor in this position. This employee encounters problems related to HR processes, timesheets, payroll information, and incorrect benefits invoices. This employee must be able to anticipate and resolve complex, non-routine problems. Serious problems are reported to the Human Resources Manager.
Decision Making: Independent decision making is involved in this position. This employee makes decisions about prioritizing daily assignments and performing daily duties in the most efficient manner.
Supervision: This position is subject to frequent supervision from the Human Resource Manager. The functions related to the payroll process will be subject to limited supervision from the Finance Director. Does not have supervisory responsibilities over subordinate personnel.
Financial Accountability: This employee is responsible for department resources.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with co-workers and supervisory personnel, and representatives from benefit providers, brokers and the city’s governing body is expected.
Working Conditions: No adverse working conditions exist within this position. Working in an office setting with a computer is the primary aspect of this position.
Physical Requirements: Physical activity associated with working in an office setting is required to perform the daily duties of this position.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job