Assistant County Attorney - Harvey County
Position appointed by and under the supervision of the county attorney. The position involves various legal duties and responsibilities as provided by statute and as prescribed by the county attorney. Responsibilities include the preparation and prosecution of cases involving the violation of criminal, civil or traffic law. Work is performed under the general direction of the county attorney, but the employee has considerable latitude for independent judgment and initiative within established policies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Interview and advise complainants and witnesses.
- Examine, evaluate and present evidence.
- Prepare and prosecute juvenile offender, care and treatment, child in need of care, traffic and criminal cases - both misdemeanor and felony.
- Prepare opinions, briefs, pleadings and other legal documents.
- Study and analyze writs, pleadings, exhibits, case files and records in order to ascertain the issues before the court and appropriate legal precedent.
- Appear before the District Court on arraignments, evidentiary hearings, preliminary hearings, termination hearings, bench trials and jury trials.
- Prepare briefs and other motion for the Kansas Supreme Court and Kansas Court of Appeals.
- Appears before the Kansas Supreme Court and Kansas Court of Appeals. Prepare pleadings and appears on extradition cases.
- Prepare pleadings and represents the State of Kansas on Habeas Corpus and other civil matters pertaining to criminal cases.
Required Education and/or Experience: Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school, and one year related experience and/or training.
Preferred Education and/or Experience: Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school, and three years related experience and/or training.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations: License to practice law in Kansas.