Deputy Sheriff - Harvey County
Harvey County Sheriff’s Office has an opening for a Deputy Sheriff.
This non-exempt position is responsible for fulfilling the mission, goals, and objectives of Harvey County Sheriff's Office, by providing general law enforcement services to those within the jurisdictional limits of the agency, preserving public peace, protecting life and property and preventing crimes while protecting the citizenry of Harvey County. Officers and employees must have the ability to perform a variety of duties that are essential to the position. Applicant must be at least 21 years of age and a United States citizen who has never been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude. Applicant must demonstrate honesty and integrity by successfully completing pre-employment polygraph and drug testing, and not subject to Giglio impeachment. Preference will be given to KLETC Certified or equivalent (Reciprocity) to fill this opening. Position requires working rotating 12 hour shifts. Uniforms, take-home vehicle and equipment are provided.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide general law enforcement services to those within the jurisdictional limits of the agency.
- Preserve public peace.
- Protect life.
- Protect property.
- Prevent crime.
- Protect the constitutional rights of all persons encountered or arrested.
- Formally advise all suspects of their rights as assured by U.S. Constitution, and upon request provide those rights accordingly.
- Provide equal protection for all.
- Use force sparingly and only when necessary to effect a lawful end.
- Enforce the laws of the state and other applicable ordinances.
- Arrive to work at a specified time in full regulation uniform, unless otherwise instructed.
- Protect persons and property that may come under your charge or custody.
- Is on duty in the prescribed uniform, and is mentally, emotionally and physically prepared to perform all required duties.
- Remain on duty and fully conscious until the expiration of the shift, and/or relieved by a supervisor.
- Maintain a clean and professional appearance while on duty.
- Complete, and turn in before the end of each tour of duty, all reports and necessary paperwork.
- Maintain sensitivity and provide equality to all races, religions, sexes, and cultural groups.
- Establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, other agencies, and the public.
- Attend and complete all required training and demonstrations of proficiency.
- Conduct investigations regarding crimes detected, reported, alleged, and known.
Starting wage is $22.88 per hour
Applicant must be at least 21 years of age and a United States citizen who has never been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude. Applicant must demonstrate honesty and integrity by successfully completing pre-employment polygraph testing, and must not be subject to Giglio impeachment.
Must have a valid Kansas Driver's license or be able to obtain one prior to employment.
Applicant will also be required to pass a medical physical and physical agility testing.
At this time, we are seeking CERTIFIED applicants.
Must live in or move to within a 30 minute legal drive time of the Harvey County, KS county line boundaries, within 6 months of employment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position is subject to call out 24 hours a day, overtime, and extended hours when necessary.
Individuals seeking employment with Harvey County Sheriff's Office as a sworn law enforcement officer must:
1. Be a United States citizen;
2. Be a resident of Kansas, or become a resident within ninety  days of employment;
3. Be at least twenty-one  years of age;
4. Possess a valid Kansas Driver License;
5. Never have been convicted of a felony, or a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude;
6. Be free of misdemeanor convictions for the last twelve  months;
7. Have no previous or current charges of driving while intoxicated or driving under the Influence of drugs or alcohol;
8. Be subject to a thorough background investigation and personal interviews by agency personnel;
9. If served in the armed forces of any country, demonstrate stability, reliability, and integrity, by having an Honorable Discharge [Dishonorable, or General discharges are not acceptable];
10. Demonstrate a good financial credit rating for the last five  years;
11. Demonstrate reading and comprehension skills in the English language to at least the 10th grade level through interviews and written demonstration of proficiency;
12. Demonstrate honesty and integrity by successfully completing pre-employment polygraph and drug testing;
13. Be free from illegal drug use, or legal drugs that impair mental or physical performance, for the past 5 years, as determined by interview, medical, or polygraph testing;
14. Be fingerprinted and subjected to a search of local, state, and national records and fingerprint files;
15. Undergo physical and psychological assessments by licensed professionals. If a physician or mental health professional identifies conditions that impede or prevent the individual from performing the essential tasks of this position, the applicant may not be eligible for employment as a law enforcement officer with the Harvey County Sheriff’s Office until such time as the issue or condition is resolved to the satisfaction of the original professional;
16. Meet academic and physical requirements for completion of the law enforcement officers’ course and certification, as required by the state, or have successfully completed the required peace officer academy training;
17. Maintain a license as a law enforcement or peace officer as defined by the state statute, rules, and regulations.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONS AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High school education or G.E.D.; and two to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, KP&F retirement, Employee Assistance Program, Paid Holidays
Vacancy open until September 29, 2023. EOE.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws. Please find more information under the following links: